July 9, 2009

Some things

Here are Three Things That Are Really Easy To get Used To About Bolivia


1) Dogs.

Dogs are everywhere. Seriously, everywhere. Evil, dirty, mangy mutts rooting around in garbage cans, attacking your taxi, and fighting really loudly right outside your window at two in the morning. It´s actually pretty sad, but my host dad explained to me that most of them are born and die on the streets. Despite the fact that they´re completely wild, I still want to pet them.

2) The sidewalks.

Walking in Cochabamba is an adventure. If the sidewalk is paved (which it may or may not be), you can rest assured that giant sections of it will be jutting out of the ground, sinking into giant potholes, crumbling into loose rocks, being buried under giant piles of dirt or bricks, or just not there. Surprisingly, it´s not so bad to get used to.

3) The traffic.

The amount of cars and buses and motorcycles that manage to cram themselves into the streets is actually pretty amazing. You´ve got to give them credit. Even New York City would be jealous, I think.


Here are Three Things That Are Impossible To Get Used To About Bolivia

1) The traffic.

While the sheer volume of traffic isn´t hard to get used to, the complete ridiculousness of the drivers is. Try being on a crowded bus, standing in the open door (because the buses don´t close them) as you´re blasting down an alley at forty miles an hour and passing another bus with less than three inches to spare. No seriously. Try it. You´ll like it. You think I´m exaggerating? I think you haven´t been to Bolivia.

2) Not throwing the toiler paper in the toilet.

It´s just weird. I´m sorry. But the Bolivian plumbing system apparently blows and as a result, you have to throw toilet paper into a little trash can that´s right next to the toilet. I DO NOT LIKE THIS.

3) The mannequins.

I hate the mannequins. I hate them I hate them I HATE THEM. First off, they´re everywhere, second off, they look SO REAL and third they are SO CREEPY. You know what´s not fun? Turning around only to find the American you though was behind you is actually a mannequin with dreadlocks and his tongue out, leering at you. They leer. They fucking leer. And I hate them.

In other news: yucca is the most delicious thing ever. I finally figured out why I can´t understand anything the maid says: because she has a thick aymara accent. My little sister is seriously 8 months old. Don´t get into unmarked taxis. I successfully haggled with a quechua lady.

Adios!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tina,

    seems like you're having fun :-)
    The plumbing system sucks as well in Costa Rica, Panama and Morocco - you are not alone :-)
    I solved the traffic problem by leaving on a cribean island without roads - no roads - no cars...

    Have a great trip..
    Fabian

    ps: After forgetting my mobile about two weeks ago in a hotel, i bought a little watch - which fell in the ocean today on my boatride - no more time feeling again

    ReplyDelete