June 10, 2009

Bite me, tropical diseases

So yesterday I had to go to Hurtado, the RU student health center, for some Bolivia vaccinations. Just for the record, I hate hate HATE shots. You know when you go to the doctor's office, and there's always that one kid that runs up and down the hall screaming bloody murder when the nurse pulls out the syringe? That was me.

So I was a complete anxious mess by the time I got there, and then I had to sit down with one of the doctors for like an hour to decide which shots I needed. First they tried to convince me to get a TB skin test, but I told the dude that I was absolutely positive that I did not have tuberculosis. Then they tried to get me to buy a prescription for altitude sickness, which I told them I'd get over. THEN they wanted me to get a rabies vaccine as well (as if the 170 price tag on the other three vaccines wasn't enough). I told the doctor I would stay away from dogs. He said to make sure I stayed away from bats too.

Note to self: Do not make friends with dogs or bats.

But they STILL wouldn't let me get the shots until I consented to a pregnancy test. Why, you ask? I don't know. I told them I wasn't, but they didn't believe me, and I had to take it anyway. But good news people, Tina is (officially) not pregnant.

So then I got the stupid shots, and now I am incapable of getting typhoid or yellow fever, and 70% incapable of getting Hep A. But for the record, I would avoid getting a typhoid shot unless absolutely necessary because it BLOWS. I was really, really sick last night, my whole body hurt, and my arm was so hot I could feel it through my sweatshirt. So don't get the typhoid vaccine. Also, Hep A burns like a bitch. But if you feel like getting injected for fun, yellow fever is totally whatever.

Adios!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on not being pregnant! I'm sure the news was quite the surprise!

    ReplyDelete